Archive for the ‘Projects’ Category

D006D-V3 Variation is Working

Sunday, July 1st, 2012

I just got the board running and it’ll be shooting a particularly boring movie overnight to make sure my timing is ok.

20120701-001214.jpg

My Lava Lamp Has a Turbo Button

Tuesday, June 26th, 2012

D006D-V3 Variation

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012

So called because that’s what’s printed on the PCB, this is one of the units I received a few weeks back.

20120623-193339.jpg

Test Point Off On Shutter Pressed
A 0v Pulse 0v,Vcc,0v
B 0v Pulse then 1.9v 1.9v,Vcc,1.9v
C 0v 0v Vcc
D 0v Vcc Vcc
G 0v Vcc when pressed 1.1v
H Vcc Vcc Vcc

Underside

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012

Here’s the underside of the Throwie showing a couple of rare earth magnets glued into some Sugru.

20120620-234453.jpg
Sadly I think I was a little enthusiastic pushing everything together in the case and I damaged the LiPo battery, which swelled up and wouldn’t hold a charge. I swapped it out for a larger one I had and put them in heatshrink.

20120620-234650.jpg

20120620-234704.jpg

The new units I ordered behave slightly different from my first one and I’ll have to modify the code anyway.

Treehouse Progress

Friday, June 15th, 2012

20120619-153140.jpg

Chip Installed into Case

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012

Here’s the ATTiny45 installed into the camera case, “dead bug” style. Btw the code for this is available at my Github repo.

20120523-223936.jpg

How to Fix an Umbrella

Saturday, May 12th, 2012

We’ve all seen this before – the ‘broken spoke’ which seems to me to be the most common failure of the contemporary umbrella, from the $4 street corner specials to the $20 upmarket models with the ‘lifetime guarantee’, which I assume means the lifetime of the average housefly.

This is particularly aggravating to me because although the metal can be recycled the lifetime of an umbrella is incredibly short considering how often it is actually used. In my case my umbrella had not even been in the wind; it’s just so poorly made that part of it broke.

Here’s an internal examination of the problem, which in this case is a complete break of the outer spokes away from the core. It’s really very sad.

And also very aggravating because the root cause of these problems is the bottom-dollar riveting used

This metal is so soft in the cheaper models that I can dent it with a thumbnail. Even the expensive models such as this one (no names but it rhymes with “boats”) they obviously aren’t’ up to the job.

There is hope however, if you have a pair of pliers and an Ebay account- these are ‘barbells’ used in piercing and body modification. I bought a few because they’re so cheap (about $1.50 per) and I imagine that more rivets will fail. They’re made of stainless steel and have a threaded ball at one end.

So, using your pair of pliers, pull out the old rivets and replace them with the barbells. I recommend a dab of Loctite to keep the ball from coming unthreaded.

It’s a little bit fiddly but once it’s done the umbrella is returned to full working order and you can walk with a little spring in your step that you’ve kept your umbrella out of the landfill for a little while longer.

Three Walls and Some Roof

Monday, May 7th, 2012

I discovered that one corner of the base is 1.5″ too high do the walls aren’t square. There’s enough flexibility for me to pull it into place, luckily.

20120507-132358.jpg

Yay my cameras arrived

Thursday, May 3rd, 2012

Man they weren’t kidding about the 28 day shipping time. Anyway I hope to get one of these done over the weekend.

20120503-224424.jpg

Software Complete

Sunday, April 15th, 2012

The software is complete and works the way I want. You can now stop and start the timelapse anytime. Once the units I ordered arrive I’ll do a video which shows how it all works.